Holy Rollerz Christian Automotive Forums

Racing Seats?????

ask away...

Racing Seats?????

Postby jfrog on Mon Feb 07, 2005 1:47 pm

I know this isn't the forum to ask this but I'm trying to see if anyone knows.
I found a set of Nex Tech Racing Seats online for $189.00. Are these good seats and is this a good deal?
I was also told that I would need to get Sparco brackets that I can get for $130.00 to install these into a 96 civic. Is that all I need and is that a good deal?
Any help would be great!!!!
Thanks!!!!!

jfrog
A Light in the Fog

Postby Subby_man on Mon Feb 07, 2005 3:01 pm

do you have a link to them? The price sounds good for racing seats as some can sell for over $500. Depending on the seat, you might be able to get a local muffler shop to weld you some brackets to mount your seats for cheaper than buying your brackets.

Also check ebay.

I need a job!
I need a job!

Postby jfrog on Mon Feb 07, 2005 3:09 pm

Yeah, the link is www.autocityimports.com. It doesn't show what brand of seats they are so I went ahead and sent them an e-mail and that's when they told me that they were Nex Tech seats. I don't know anything about that brand so I'm clueless as to there quality. I might check out the bracket idea. I really need to do this right because I'd really like to legally track race this car so it's go to be safe. I guess my next question would be is do I need the full racing harness seat belts or not. So many questions......lol.
Hey, thanks for your help in this.

jfrog
A Light in the Fog

Postby DJ Real on Mon Feb 07, 2005 3:54 pm

Personally I think it's one of those big corportion things. You might hear a few of us, especially some of the guys who really know what they are talking about say something of this nature. But honestly "name" might just be the only factor in this situation. I mean, that could be the same exact seat as a Sparco, or TenzoR, or Momo, whatever. But without that actual badge on it, it makes it that much cheaper. I checked around for people that had them just a short while ago and couldn't find really anything on people who've had them. Some companies can sell things cheaper because of overstock and etc. I mean, it's obviously easier to trust and get a product from a company we all know and love. But that doesn't mean the little guy doesn't have a great product to offer. I'd say you might be alright. Because it's still about $200. And most seats (by a huge name) might start at selling their seats for maybe low $400.oo or less. Just do your research before installing them because there's a lot to check out before just the seat goes in. I mean, you know you need the brackets so obviously get them, but with the seatbelt system, most people I know do go ahead and get them. But I've seen some that are incorporated to to roll cage as well. So be weary before you get one. However it'd make sense to me to get that along with the rest of the seat setup if that's what your mom and everything already planned on. WE LOVE MOM'S. (I know my mom helps me survive through college. lol. and dad too, but mom is more...momly??? lol) Hope this helps

JReal - "Rollin' Against the Flow" Matthew 10:12-16
DJ Real
Old Timer
Old Timer

Vehicle: 2002 Audi TTQC 225

Postby jfrog on Mon Feb 07, 2005 4:03 pm

That's the answer I was hoping for because of the reason that the seats are so cheap......lol. Do you think that's legit that they are selling the pair for that amount? I guess I can see one of the seats being about $200.00 but both? I was also thinking about the role cage idea too. I might go ahead and get the whole set up, we'll see. Anyway, yeah, mom's are great!! I totally know what you mean about the "more momly" thing....lol. I would have never made it to where I am now without her.

jfrog
A Light in the Fog

Postby Subby_man on Mon Feb 07, 2005 4:29 pm

I just got of the phone with my friend and he had to buy the sparco brackets to go with his seats, so that might be better than the muffler shop option.

they seam pretty good to me, but pretty sure they're universal, so you will have to pay for the brackets seperately.

I need a job!
I need a job!

Postby Subby_man on Mon Feb 07, 2005 4:30 pm

my friend also said that he paid $200 apiece for sparco brackets.

I need a job!
I need a job!

Postby jfrog on Mon Feb 07, 2005 5:13 pm

Yeah, the guy I e-mailed at the store who is selling the seats said that the brackets were the only thing besides the actual seats I would need to be able to mount them into the car. I can get the brackets for around $130.00 so that seems like its a good deal. Well, I think I might go for these seats. I hope these seats are just fine. I think I agree with DJ Real about the name brand thing. You pay so much for nothing but a name. Hey Subby, there is still one that doesn't make sense. Are the brackets more expensive than the seats??
Check this out. The place that is selling the seats said that it's 2 seats for $189.00. That's only about $95.00 a piece.
Your friend got 1 bracket for $200.00 right? Is that normal for the brackets to be that much more expensive than the seat???

jfrog
A Light in the Fog

Postby Subby_man on Mon Feb 07, 2005 5:18 pm

jfrog wrote:Yeah, the guy I e-mailed at the store who is selling the seats said that the brackets were the only thing besides the actual seats I would need to be able to mount them into the car. I can get the brackets for around $130.00 so that seems like its a good deal. Well, I think I might go for these seats. I hope these seats are just fine. I think I agree with DJ Real about the name brand thing. You pay so much for nothing but a name. Hey Subby, there is still one that doesn't make sense. Are the brackets more expensive than the seats??
Check this out. The place that is selling the seats said that it's 2 seats for $189.00. That's only about $95.00 a piece.
Your friend got 1 bracket for $200.00 right? Is that normal for the brackets to be that much more expensive than the seat???

I he said he paid $400 for both his R1 seats. Sparco is a pretty spendy, so that's why they more than your seats. But I really don't know if they are usually more spendy or not.

I need a job!
I need a job!

Postby jfrog on Mon Feb 07, 2005 5:28 pm

Yeah, I've heard that about Sparco. Unfortunatley I think that is the only brand this company carries. It's good though because of such a good deal on the seats. I just e-mailed that company and asked if the price on the brackets were separate or not. I should hear from them some time soon.

jfrog
A Light in the Fog

Postby DJ Real on Mon Feb 07, 2005 6:31 pm

In most cases you will ALWAYS buy brackets....hold up...let me rephrase this. Whenever you buy racing seats, that's really all you get. Nothing more. EVerything else will have to be purchased seperatly. Why? That's just how companies do it. Mainly because you can get a wide variety of brackets for differents seats for different cars. And getting back to the price thing as well. I mean there are some things that certain "name" companies will sell that you can't get from anyone else, and a knock-off won't cut it at times. Such as Momo sells these italian leather seats for my Teggy that I'm getting for about $900.00 a piece. You can't get that through any other company except maybe Sparco. That's mainly because it is a true-touring race seat with well..italian leather that is not black or tan. So it's a specialy color as well. So I mean, don't get me wrong there are things where it might pay to have name brand, because of comfort level of the chair. Because there are some chairs out there that have hard plastic beneath them with just a clothed cover lacing them, and it's like being in school back in the old days with hard chairs. And if you're driving in them all the time then it's going to be a real pain, uncomfortable, and possibly bad for your body as well. I mean, I tried checking out the company again and nothing from anybody saying they have them. You will end up spending more altogether on your brackets and harness system than your seats by themselves. Especially if they are selling TOGETHER for $189.00. I was reading very closely earlier about that. I'm still not saying they are bad, because that whole name thing does very, very often come into play. But getting under hundred dollar range for both, I would totally be a little skeptical. But to each his own, and mainly I think the only problem with these chairs would be their comfort level. Because you could be sitting on a brick with these. That has a lot to do with costs at times, along with the fabric it's made out of. It could be nothing more than just a seat cover thrown on it and sewn together on the seams. Honestly...that sounds a little too cheap. If it were $189 a chair I, personally would feel a little better in giving you my opinioin to go ahead and go with those. But seriously, there's only so low you can go before you start getting ripped off. You kind of have to look at the general market for what racing seats go for. The highest one will pay for a great pair of seats is $2,000. So if you can, just do a little more research, and then if you still feel fine with getting them, go for it. Other wise I'd say wait for a little bit, save up a little more money and then get like a low-grade Sparco seat or something. I've always found the best way to get anywhere with a car is to just wait if you're not sure, and save up for something that at least has a reputable name to back itself up. That's why I haven't done everything I want to yet. There's a CF hood I am looking into getting. I found one for 119 dollars, and it feels a little iffy for carbon fiber, so I'm just going to wait and save up for the one I know has a warranty and a reputable name even though it is $400. Just always research as much as you can, ask around as much as you can before diving into any deal whatsoever.

DJ Real
Old Timer
Old Timer

Postby jfrog on Mon Feb 07, 2005 6:47 pm

Yeah, I totally agree with you. The more I think about it the more I question. Questions are good though. Now I'm even more confused. Not because of what you said but about the brackets. This company is saying that there Sparco brackets are selling for $65.00 a piece. Now, I know that's a good name and all but it seems that Sparco would be more expensive than that. It leads me to believe that this company just has really good prices. I don't know, I'll just do more research, that's really the only sure fire way.

jfrog
A Light in the Fog

Postby EVO-8-Trskit on Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:18 am

SKIP TO BOTTOM FOR STORIES IF THIS SEEMS TOO LONG!!!!

I don't want to come in and spoil the party (every body run here comes Trskit), but just figured I'd add my 2 cents in. I'm all for getting the lowest price (I don't think I've paid more then 50% for anything on any car or for anything at for that matter), but I just said on the phone earlier today and totally meant it "You get what you pay for". I know a lot of people who have ended up spending more then the most expensive companies part for trying to fix, or make usable some other part (It's happen to me all too much...even right now I'm dealing with this on 3 front's...My car (4-5 month's out of commision...my computer (don't even go there) and my IT friend's work at my old company.

Anyway, if they seem legit (you hear from some customers, have review's, know some info about the seat) then I say go for it but let me just give you a little heed of warning. Racing seats are not something to stiff on compared to shift knob's, braces, etc... They have saved too many lives (mine included...thank you Recaro) and if your planning to race then I would suggest spending just a little more for even a no name that SOME people know.

READ THIS!!!!I had to pull 2 friend's out of an EVO that went off a mountian cliff and it was crazy. After I slid down the mountain side (they spinned out and missed the gaurd rail flipping down the mountain to end up upside down on a tree) I found them hanging by the racing harness they had on. One had a broken collar bone and a rib and one had a broken ankle. Well, we finally get the car up and you see the racing seats all twisted where the seats were both facing left and not center. The brackets had been twisted 4 different ways because of the 4 times they hit things, but they stayed tough and saved their lives. You could tell just from the brackets which way they were twisted 1st - 4th and it was crazy. Because of the seats and the harnesses they're lives were saved and I've seen this too many times on the track and on the road. I also got into a really bad accident with the EVO and me and my passanger were fine and not even bumped because we had the seats.

I don't tell just a couple of the many stories I have to be cool or for any other reason then to make a point that seats are one thing I wouldn't skimp all the way on....especially the brackets! All I suggest is checking on the company. I'd trust a pricer seat knowing they have money on testing, restrictions on wear and saftey and have been used in the enviroment they were intended for....racing, not show. If these are just show (which you said you like to race later on) then it would be one thing, but these are a saftey device and I'd rather see you safe and out a couple of bucks then with a snapped braket or seat because of the money.

I in no way support paying top dollar for anything...especially for the name, but in the case of testing, research and development and saftey standards a name might mean your life...

Dropping that science dog!! Ok... so what if it's elementary basic principles!
EVO-8-Trskit

Postby DJ Real on Tue Feb 08, 2005 3:11 am

Thanks James for covering me on that. I was actually getting into other details so much I forgot to include about safety as well.

DJ Real
Old Timer
Old Timer

Postby EVO-8-Trskit on Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:41 am

No prob...just looking out bro. Don't want no one to get hurt just to look good.

Dropping that science dog!! Ok... so what if it's elementary basic principles!
EVO-8-Trskit

Next

Return to General Questions