Holy Rollerz Christian Automotive Forums

AWD VS. FWD VS. RWD

ask away...

AWD VS. FWD VS. RWD

Postby jfrog on Fri Feb 11, 2005 6:33 pm

This is a pretty old question but what is the advantage to each of these??

How can you believe if you accept praise from one another, yet make no effort to obtain the praise that comes from the only God? John 5:44
jfrog
A Light in the Fog

Postby SympleTruth316 on Fri Feb 11, 2005 8:07 pm

I prefer GWD

http://www.one16audio.com
SympleTruth316
i good typer
i good typer

Name: one16audio.com
Vehicle: 1975 Plymouth Valiant - 1992 GMC Sonoma - 1994 Olds Cutlass

Postby jfrog on Fri Feb 11, 2005 8:29 pm

This may seem stupid. What does that mean???....lol.

How can you believe if you accept praise from one another, yet make no effort to obtain the praise that comes from the only God? John 5:44
jfrog
A Light in the Fog

Postby dc2g on Fri Feb 11, 2005 8:48 pm

fwd is good at entering high speeds but doesnt have well traction
rwd is best in my choice but tends to drift in high speed entries but exits great
awd tends to oversteer in high speed entries since the front n back are fighting each other for traction.
a good mag to read is grassroots teaches each function and explains it

dc2g

Postby SympleTruth316 on Fri Feb 11, 2005 8:57 pm

GWD means Gods Wheels Drive

http://www.one16audio.com
SympleTruth316
i good typer
i good typer

Name: one16audio.com
Vehicle: 1975 Plymouth Valiant - 1992 GMC Sonoma - 1994 Olds Cutlass

Postby Subby_man on Sat Feb 12, 2005 12:27 am

dc2g wrote:fwd is good at entering high speeds but doesnt have well traction
rwd is best in my choice but tends to drift in high speed entries but exits great
awd tends to oversteer in high speed entries since the front n back are fighting each other for traction.
a good mag to read is grassroots teaches each function and explains it

I think you meant AWD tends to understeer. But most cars now a days understeer. They're made to do that for safety reasons.

on normal dry days RWD>AWD>FWD
on rainy days AWD>RWD>FWD.

FWD understeers way more than both AWD and RWD. You can get the back end to come out if you have a good set up. The problem with FWD is that when the weight shifts to the rear, you lose traction up front to your driving wheels. Spoilers are about useless on them because it will squat the rear end down where you have no grip. Unless you have a good set up, they don't do as well on the 1/4 mile track. Around the twisties they will understeer because the front tires will lose traction around the corner and you have no power to the rear to correct it. They offer good MPG though. A good FWD car would be a Nissan Sentra SE-R

RWD is best for dry track days. Very little transmission lost to the rear wheels making a very fun car to drift with or do burn outs. You can drop the clutch with little harm to the car. On rainy/snowy days you have poor control due to the back end not having enough weight for the tires to grip but this can be a good thing as it will spin out easily for goofing around the autocross track. They offer superb control around the twisties and are alot lighter than AWD cars. They also can get good MPG. A good RWD car would be a Mazda Miata, Honda S2000 or old school BMW.

AWD is very fun to drive and is good all year around. You can't drop the clutch because the tranny will take too much shock, but they can launch as hard if not harder that RWD because they have all wheels pulling them. Great for rain/snow and will handle really well in snow and can be corrected easily if on ice or spinning out. They're a little harder to drift but you can get onto it them many corners wet or dry. They offer far superior handling around many normal cars FWD or RWD but a good set up in a RWD on a dry day an it will pull away from any AWD car. Because they have front and rear tires spinning, they don't get very good MPG and they tend to be heavier than FWD and RWD cars. A good AWD car would be a Evolution VIII or Subaru STi.

Just my $.02

I need a job!
I need a job!

Postby integra evan on Sat Feb 12, 2005 1:50 am

I love the handling of my FWD tegs. Tegs are handling freaks. Especially with the lowering kits on. They hug the corners sooooooo much.

integra evan
Teggin' it up holy style

Vehicle: 1995 Acura Integra SE

Postby DJ Real on Sat Feb 12, 2005 4:13 am

That reminds me of a story E. I was out here on the beat up interstate of Nashville. And it was dark. And all of a sudden this turn came up...well exit. And I needed to take that exit. So I just yanked that wheel as hard as I could because it was one heck of an s curve, but with wide side exits..but the big concrete walls. And oh my gosh it was the second craziest thing I've ever done in my entire life...Very, very little screeching, and incredible handling, that I never knew existed. It swerved off to one side, and then I turned the wheel back hard to make the next curve, and the left side was just all up on that wall, and nicely too. lol. I was proud...but scared at the time that my car was going to get jacked. lol. the first craziest thing was yanking the e-brake...while the car was sitting at factory height, on a hill that was going down, at 45 mph. HOLD ON!!! That I'll never do again...the car almost flipped. [smilie=5emoticon.gif]

JReal - "Rollin' Against the Flow" Matthew 10:12-16
DJ Real
Old Timer
Old Timer

Vehicle: 2002 Audi TTQC 225

Postby zipper on Sat Feb 12, 2005 10:28 am

i just thought of a question that will throw a little spin to this topic. i know that RWD vehicles have little drivetrain loss (at least compared to FWD and AWD). but what about RWD vehicles like the ferrari enzo, or saleen s7, or pontiac fiero (i thought that would be an interesting car to put in here :D )? they are RWD but they also use transaxles, kinda like FWD vehicles. plus, i think a lotta people would be surprised about how fast some FWD vehicles can go down the 1/4. i know that there are quite a few grand prixs and monte carlos dipping down under the 13's even a couple that are as low as the 10's (although these are extremely modified).

Novi 1k dyno: 348whp
Best NA dyno: 222whp
Best 1/4 mile: 14.4391@95.34mph (at 205whp)
Coming Soon: Project Rise Up
zipper
Crazy Posting Machine
Crazy Posting Machine

Vehicle: 1998 Chevy Monte Carlo Z34

Postby DJ Real on Sat Feb 12, 2005 12:19 pm

UHHhh....why did you put that car up here. They're so horrible. It's like a midgit Ferrari...but....not good. And maybe it's just me, because in DE when I was there, we about ten of those little cars rolling around, all with major exhaust problems, horrible looking paint, and just nasty. Huge wheel well gaps and such. Just dispicable. [smilie=5arg.gif]

JReal - "Rollin' Against the Flow" Matthew 10:12-16
DJ Real
Old Timer
Old Timer

Vehicle: 2002 Audi TTQC 225

Postby GruntDan on Sun Feb 13, 2005 1:52 pm

i like my rwd on my truck so much. its cool and it handles nice too .

GruntDan-HRC³
GruntDan
One Trick Dime

Postby jfrog on Mon Feb 14, 2005 12:32 pm

Right on, thanks for all of the input. Man, I won't have to study this stuff on my own......lol.

jfrog
A Light in the Fog

Postby PennylessZ28 on Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:06 pm

RWD :) but of course

Michael Key
Business Owner, Web Developer & Graphic Artist
PennylessZ28

Postby EasyE on Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:16 am

Just a little defense for front wheel drive vehicles: stiff springs, a LSD, and anti sway bars do wonders for driveability.

"Hey is this where you wanna be when Jesus comes
back? Makin' fun of lil' ol' Joe Dirt?"
EasyE

Postby zipper on Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:59 pm

DJ Real wrote:UHHhh....why did you put that car up here. They're so horrible. It's like a midgit Ferrari...but....not good. And maybe it's just me, because in DE when I was there, we about ten of those little cars rolling around, all with major exhaust problems, horrible looking paint, and just nasty. Huge wheel well gaps and such. Just dispicable. [smilie=5arg.gif]

i think the fiero has some potential. ive seen some cardomain sites where people have stuffed small block chevy v8's in them or the supercharged 3800 v6 in them. they're super light and kinda low to the ground. i guess i would put them in the 'cars that have potential' category. they suck from the factory, but if u let your imagination run wild, they're nice cars. i dont know how much they weigh from the factory, but im guessing that they dont weigh much more then 2000 lbs. i guess in a way u could compare the fiero to the porsche 914. lol. another car for the 'cars that have potential' category.

Novi 1k dyno: 348whp
Best NA dyno: 222whp
Best 1/4 mile: 14.4391@95.34mph (at 205whp)
Coming Soon: Project Rise Up
zipper
Crazy Posting Machine
Crazy Posting Machine

Vehicle: 1998 Chevy Monte Carlo Z34

Next

Return to General Questions