Holy Rollerz Christian Automotive Forums

Evidence of the soul?

play nice...
Share |

Evidence of the soul?

Postby Dark Pony on Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:24 pm

K it was suggested to start a topic specifically for this subject so here it is.

Evidence of the soul....it seems to me this is a big key in the christian faith...

I want to believe in the soul but as a lot of things for me lately...it's been hard. Any input on the soul is greatly appreciated.

Dark Pony
I'm Crazy Go Nuts
I'm Crazy Go Nuts

Postby FazFX on Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:10 pm

Here's a good link that kind of introduces the soul as it relates to the whole of a man:

http://www.carm.org/bible/man.htm

Let me know what you think.

Martin Luther wrote:The Bible is alive, it speaks to me; it has feet, it runs after me; it has hands, it lays hold of me.

Jude 1:3 wrote:...to contend for the faith that was once for all entrusted to the saints...
FazFX
formerly ForgivenSol

Name: Faz
Vehicle: 2002 C5 convertible

Postby BBWolf on Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:15 pm

Long read atm, i will look into it tomorow when I wake up, Looks good tho, I enjoy learning more lol so thanks faz for the info

BBWolf
Forum Backbone
Forum Backbone

Name: Dave

Postby Dark Pony on Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:53 am

that is a good read..thank you faz

I think one thing I have trouble with is when people use the Bible for reference I don't take it seriously...like as a historical document. I know that sound really bad but that's how I feel.

At times I've thought "The bible truly sounds like a hollywood movie"......and I've also thought that people are so badly wanting God to exist that they take the "wishful thinking" mentality...I don't know I'm sorry for rambling guys these are just more issues I've had. :( But all your replies and input are really helping

Workin' on findin God....one day at a time :)

www.LanesCarProducts.com

www.DesignEngineering.com

www.PhantasyKolors.com
Dark Pony
I'm Crazy Go Nuts
I'm Crazy Go Nuts

Postby ChristAlone on Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:08 pm

Dark Pony wrote:I think one thing I have trouble with is when people use the Bible for reference I don't take it seriously...like as a historical document. I know that sound really bad but that's how I feel.

Bold= you're right, doesn't sound too good.

But doubting the inerrancy isn't such a bad thing, as long as you are willing to address it. What I mean by that is; if you want you can do a study with a bible in one hand and any credible text book in the other. If you find anything that is incorrect with the Scriptures, post about it and we will (or at least I will) take your findings in to consideration- with sincerity- and together find out the truth. Because, to be quite frank with you, there is no reason to believe any portion of the Bible if there is as little as one verse that is wrong.

So, together, let us check God's resume (so to speak) and see if our doubts are misplaced or if we are wasting our time. And this will work just as long as we veiw this objectively- not holding to any previous biases or opinions.

ChristAlone
Sola Scriptura

Postby ChristAlone on Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:01 pm

Dr. Duncan MacDougall of Massachusetts did a study in 1907 about the weight of the soul. His findings is that people would lose 21 grams upon death.

A lot of people are trying to discredit his findings, but many aren't scientist... but I will look further into it.

ChristAlone wrote: Again let's stop limiting ourselves and willingly move into the meat of Scripture. For it is essential for a biblical worldview; Which will allow us to rejoice in persecution, stand strong in the faith, be ready to give testimony when it's wanted and when it's not, knowing what to pray for, and ultimately God to be glorified!!
ChristAlone
Sola Scriptura

Postby FazFX on Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:45 am

Dark Pony wrote:I think one thing I have trouble with is when people use the Bible for reference I don't take it seriously...like as a historical document. I know that sound really bad but that's how I feel.

At times I've thought "The bible truly sounds like a hollywood movie"......and I've also thought that people are so badly wanting God to exist that they take the "wishful thinking" mentality...I don't know I'm sorry for rambling guys these are just more issues I've had. :( But all your replies and input are really helping

I'm going to start another thread defending the historical accuracy of the Bible. Stay tuned. But for now, I'm going to leave you with a list of scholars that defend the Bible as a historical document:

Here are a few quotes from some pretty reputable Christian scholars, some of which were considered the best in their fields:

"We can already say emphatically that there is no longer any solid basis for dating any book of the New Testament after about A.D. 80, two full generations before the date between 130 and 150 given by the more radical New Testament critics of today." - William F. Albright

"Luke is a historian of the first rank . . . This author should be placed along with the very greatest of historians. " - Sir William Ramsay

"I claim to be an historian. My approach to Classics is historical. And I tell you that the evidence for the life, the death, and the resurrection of Christ is better authenticated than most of the facts of ancient history . . ." - E. M. Blaiklock, Professor of Classics - Auckland University

" . . . if all the evidence is weighed carefully and fairly, it is indeed justifiable, according to the canons of historical research, to conclude that the sepulcher of Joseph of Arimathea, in which Jesus was buried, was actually empty on the morning of the first Easter. And no shred of evidence has yet been discovered in literary sources, epigraphy, or archaeology that would disprove this statement." - Dr. Paul Maier

"There exists no document from the ancient world, witnessed by so excellent a set of textual and historical testimonies . . . Skepticism regarding the historical credentials of Christianity is based upon an irrational bias." -Clark Pinnock, Mcmaster University

"If the New Testament were a collection of secular writings, their authenticity would generally be regarded as beyond all doubt." -F. F. Bruce, Manchester University

"For the New Testament of Acts, the confirmation of historicity is overwhelming. Any attempt to reject its basic historicity, even in matters of detail, must now appear absurd. Roman historians have long taken it for granted." - A. N. Sherwin-White, Classical Roman Historian

"I have been used for many years to study the histories of other times, and to examine and weigh the evidence of those who have written about them, and I know of no one fact in the history of mankind which is proved by better and fuller evidence of every sort, to the understanding of a fair inquirer, than the great sign which God bath given us that Christ died and rose again from the dead." - Professor Thomas Arnold, Chair of Modern History, Oxford University

"Raking all the evidence together, it is not too much to say that there is no historic incident better or more variously supported than the resurrection of Christ. Nothing but the antecedent assumption that it must be false could have suggested the idea of deficiency in the proof of it." - Brooke Foss Westcott

Martin Luther wrote:The Bible is alive, it speaks to me; it has feet, it runs after me; it has hands, it lays hold of me.

Jude 1:3 wrote:...to contend for the faith that was once for all entrusted to the saints...
FazFX
formerly ForgivenSol

Name: Faz
Vehicle: 2002 C5 convertible

Return to Faith-Based Discussions