Holy Rollerz Christian Automotive Forums

Also a target for blessings?

play nice...

Postby dean on Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:26 am

I've been thinking a lot about Proverbs lately, and I pose a question to open the floor for debate.

We all know once we choose to believe that we ultimately paint a bullseye on the back of our heads for Satan to play target practice with, but in my opinion, there's a deeper issue than that I feel God has lain on my heart. Is it possible, that God allows Satan to test us so that as he's "reloading", that God is using that same "bullseye" on the back of our heads to play target practice with blessings? To say that, I am saying that as a reward for holding fast, and staying strong, is God firing heat seeking "blessing missles" at us as a reward for our loyalty and fervor? I would like to think so... what do you guys think?

dean
Forum Backbone
Forum Backbone

Name: Dean Justice II
Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram 1500

Re: Also a target for blessings?

Postby svt_guy on Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:34 am

I think you are definitely on to something...

I think the God certainly allows us to prove ourselves so that he can bless us and entrust us with more... and I think the bible illustrates taht well... from the story of the 3 servants given the lord's money to hold to see what they would do with it, to the story of Job, etc...

The important thing to note is that a) Satan can only do what God allows him to do while you are under his covering... and b) you CAN indeed step out from God's covering by stepping out of his will, sin, etc... at which point Satan can and will have his way, however usually only to the point of causing you to run back to Daddy God.

God is raising up a generation who understands the priority of the hour is not bigger programs and more religion but a passionate pursuit of the knowledge of God.
svt_guy
Spicing it up
Spicing it up

Name: Shannon Chappell
Vehicle: 2008 Saturn Opel Astra

Postby silvrbreez on Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:05 pm

Good thought. Further still, we should beware not to say that temptations are the work of God. James (ch. 1) shows us there is a difference between trials and temptations. It's hard in their midst, but God says we should feel blessed to experience trials as they ultimately purify us and mature us as Christians (Jam. 1:2-3,12). Temptation however, like svt_guy alluded too, is when our sinful desires pervert that trial and produce sin (Jam. 1:13-15).

Sent using Tapatalk for iPhone

Charles Spurgeon wrote:Always stand to it that your creed must bend to the Bible, and not the Bible to your creed, and dare to be a little inconsistent with yourselves, if need be, sooner than be inconsistent with God’s revealed truth.
silvrbreez
HR is my life
HR is my life

Name: Brandon
Vehicle: 05Frontier

Postby warrior777 on Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:21 pm

That is really good bro that is something to think about

warrior777
I need a job!
I need a job!

Name: Garrick
Vehicle: 1996 Ford Probe SE

Postby dean on Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:55 am

silvrbreez wrote:Good thought. Further still, we should beware not to say that temptations are the work of God. James (ch. 1) shows us there is a difference between trials and temptations. It's hard in their midst, but God says we should feel blessed to experience trials as they ultimately purify us and mature us as Christians (Jam. 1:2-3,12). Temptation however, like svt_guy alluded too, is when our sinful desires pervert that trial and produce sin (Jam. 1:13-15).

I think it's also important to, as well, to point out Jeremiah 29:11. We were talking at the end of service this past Sunday about what the bible means to us, and I think that obviously the bible can mean many things to many different people. The reason I bring this up is simply because it very well illustrates the exact thing you guys are talking about

Jeremiah 29:11

For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

Remember that... "declares the LORD".... GOD told us this guys. No matter what trials we experience in life, so long as we follow his lead, nothing ever placed in front of us will be able to harm us. It may be mildly trying... it may make you want to pull your hair out and punch everyone you come in contact with right in the face... but ultimately HE has a plan for our lives. The bible is our blueprint. When we enter the maze of trials, God is ALWAYS waiting for us at the finish of that maze..... even if we take longer than he intended from getting lost and taking all the wrong turns.

dean
Forum Backbone
Forum Backbone

Postby blessing4u on Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:42 am

We were talking at the end of service this past Sunday about what the bible means to us, and I think that obviously the bible can mean many things to many different people. The reason I bring this up is simply because it very well illustrates the exact thing you guys are talking about

the bible for me is my manual of life if there are problems in my life i can seek guidance in the bible, if i'm wondering whether or not what i'm doing is right in the eyesight of the Lord i use the bible, my life is in the bible (so to speak) including back when i was in the world, to my starting my journey with the Lord all the way to finding that righteous path and walking upright with the Lord... my bible is everything in regards to my journey and when using the holy spirit with the bible i cant be lead in the wrong direction

blessing4u

Postby silvrbreez on Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:45 am

dean wrote:
Jeremiah 29:11

For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

Remember that... "declares the LORD".... GOD told us this guys. No matter what trials we experience in life, so long as we follow his lead, nothing ever placed in front of us will be able to harm us. It may be mildly trying... it may make you want to pull your hair out and punch everyone you come in contact with right in the face... but ultimately HE has a plan for our lives. The bible is our blueprint. When we enter the maze of trials, God is ALWAYS waiting for us at the finish of that maze..... even if we take longer than he intended from getting lost and taking all the wrong turns.

Yep, that's exactly what the Lord was trying to tell his people in that verse. That chapter of Jeremiah was written to the survivors among God's people who were in exile and under persecution by King Nebuchadnezzar in Babylon. In verses 5-9, the people are given instruction and then the Lord seals it up with that declaration. That verse must have been a HUGE comfort to them, and still serves that purpose for us today.

Amazing how the Word becomes alive when you trust in it and look to it for instruction, comfort, etc.

Charles Spurgeon wrote:Always stand to it that your creed must bend to the Bible, and not the Bible to your creed, and dare to be a little inconsistent with yourselves, if need be, sooner than be inconsistent with God’s revealed truth.
silvrbreez
HR is my life
HR is my life

Postby dean on Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:38 am

silvrbreez wrote:Amazing how the Word becomes alive when you trust in it and look to it for instruction, comfort, etc.

Exactly. One thing our pastor was talking about this past Sunday is how no matter how many times Science, Politics, or any other man made institution has tried to disprove the bible... it still stands today. Not only does it stand, but it's still living even now. Many of it's teachings, guidance, and principles are still relevant today... 1,950 years later Hallelujah!

dean
Forum Backbone
Forum Backbone

Postby silvrbreez on Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:16 am

dean wrote:Many of it's teachings, guidance, and principles are still relevant today... 1,950 years later Hallelujah!

Little off topic, but why 1950 years? Scholars believe that Moses is said to have written Genesis somewhere between 1446 to 1290 BC. That puts the earliest scripture around 3300 to 3450 years old. 1950 years may fall more in line with the approximate age of the last book of the recognized Christian canon of scripture, possibly Revelation being the latest at around 60 to 70 AD.

Regardless, you're right that it still applies even still today. The Bible as a whole totally applies to us today as it all points to Christ. Part of the reason we can take so much from it is that, while it may seem a little different on the surface, we're still dealing with the same struggles...we're all sinners who need Him and should strive to be more like Him.

silvrbreez
HR is my life
HR is my life

Postby dean on Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:44 am

silvrbreez wrote:
dean wrote:Many of it's teachings, guidance, and principles are still relevant today... 1,950 years later Hallelujah!

Little off topic, but why 1950 years?

That's approximately how long ago it was translated to English and printed

dean
Forum Backbone
Forum Backbone

Postby silvrbreez on Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:59 pm

dean wrote:
silvrbreez wrote:

Nope. Earliest printing press is dated around 1440...that would be just under 600 years. The first full King James bible was supposedly somewhere around 1611...400 years ago. The first translation to English was the "Great Bible" in 1539...around 470 years or so ago.

Read my post above again and see where I speculate that the 1950 years you were told most likely refers to the length of time between when Revelation was probably written (60-70 AD) and now.

Sorry again for the off topic, I'm a student trying to learn and I want to be sure we've got our dates right and facts in order. :)

silvrbreez
HR is my life
HR is my life

Postby dean on Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:14 pm

silvrbreez wrote:
dean wrote:
silvrbreez wrote:

Nope. Earliest printing press is dated around 1440...that would be just under 600 years. The first full King James bible was supposedly somewhere around 1611...400 years ago. The first translation to English was the "Great Bible" in 1539...around 470 years or so ago.

:owned3: lol well looks like I was wrong then. lol learn sumpin new erreday [smilie=5bouncy.gif]

dean
Forum Backbone
Forum Backbone

Postby svt_guy on Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:16 pm

Most scholars agree, although that date is also accepted, that Revelation was written as late as 95 A.D.

God is raising up a generation who understands the priority of the hour is not bigger programs and more religion but a passionate pursuit of the knowledge of God.
svt_guy
Spicing it up
Spicing it up

Name: Shannon Chappell
Vehicle: 2008 Saturn Opel Astra

Postby warrior777 on Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:48 pm

svt_guy wrote:Most scholars agree, although that date is also accepted, that Revelation was written as late as 95 A.D.

I 2nd that Amen

warrior777
I need a job!
I need a job!

Name: Garrick
Vehicle: 1996 Ford Probe SE

Postby silvrbreez on Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:06 pm

svt_guy wrote:Most scholars agree, although that date is also accepted, that Revelation was written as late as 95 A.D.

True, but in an effort to best define the "1950 years" from the original post, I was using the earlier proposed date. But I digress, I think we all get the point.

silvrbreez
HR is my life
HR is my life

Next

Return to Faith-Based Discussions