Holy Rollerz Christian Automotive Forums

Preachers & "metaphors" in sermons

play nice...
Share |

Preachers & "metaphors" in sermons

Postby SinistreMinistre on Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:53 am

I've had it with several preachers in my area. They all are really dumbing down their sermons weekly with the same old metaphor or example driven by using their wife as an analogy.

I am talking about when preachers say, "well my wife..." and then go on for 10 minutes about how their wife totally lives out what they are exegeting Biblically. Does your preacher do this?

For example, i went to a larger church in the area for a visit on Sunday. The sermon was on Matthew 5, "salt and light". The preacher talked for 10 minutes about how his wife covers a tomatoe to the point that you can't see the tomato. How is this relevant? It makes his wife looks stoopid and makes him looks Biblically inept.
I've been doing sermons for just a year. I don't have a great deal of homeletics courses, just a few, but not one of professors ever spoke of using your wife for the end-all of examples. There are so many more tools that a preacher can use besides "my wife" or "at the office". There are cultural exchanges that can be made relevant along with so many other pop culture things or postmodernist expressions. Why are preaching resorting to this? Every Sunday no matter where i go, the preacher says "well mywife". Do their wives actually like this? I get so livid that i want to throw my boot! I have actually thought about calling the churches and complaining. I have noticed that it is worst here in the south than up north or east of the nation. I'm going out to California in a week to observe the chruches under the name of "organic" or "emergent". Vintage Faith is one stop on the list, i wonder if their preachers talk about their wives every week from the pulpit?

So what do you think? Does your preacher use his/her spouse for every example? Do you get tired of it?

we will pay the price, but we will not count the cost...
1984 Mustang GT Turbo 2.3L: Super 60 fed, merkur minded, many mod'd stock parts and getting 24 mpg.
1991 Cougar XR7 5.0L H/O: "Automatic weapon" of 7 foward clutches, custom police shift kit, electric fan, 75mm MAF, '99 Taurus SE rims, 3 inch single exh. from stem to stern, an A.R.C. Tokico kit and a 1 1/8 solid Addco rear bar.
SinistreMinistre
I'm Crazy Go Nuts
I'm Crazy Go Nuts

Postby skiendog on Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:26 am

no, i have never heard a preacher use his/her spouse as an example.

HRC³ Forum Moderator
Welcome Wagon Member
NFATCA The ONLY organization fighting to protect what no other organization will touch.
skiendog
!DAYN-JUH!

Vehicle: E320

Postby SinistreMinistre on Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:40 pm

Lucky you! You're missing out. It seems to be a standard around here, all that i've heard use the spouse for every example.

1984 Mustang GT Turbo 2.3L: Super 60 fed, merkur minded, many mod'd stock parts and getting 24 mpg.
1991 Cougar XR7 5.0L H/O: "Automatic weapon" of 7 foward clutches, custom police shift kit, electric fan, 75mm MAF, '99 Taurus SE rims, 3 inch single exh. from stem to stern, an A.R.C. Tokico kit and a 1 1/8 solid Addco rear bar.
SinistreMinistre
I'm Crazy Go Nuts
I'm Crazy Go Nuts

Postby UnReality on Mon Jul 24, 2006 2:03 pm

The same happens at my church in B.C., the pastor uses either his spouse or kids as an example, and most ofton the butt of many light-hearted jokes in doing so. I think the reason they do this is to make a sense of family among the congregation, now the church can feel like they ?know?the pastor and his family, and a little insight into his life. However, this is, I know, no excuse for how ofton it is resorted to, as for whether or not they like it, our pastor always consults them before hand, and occasionally offers incentives to the kids. In my experience, the Childrens Pastor at our church is much more capable in those terms than he is.

UnReality
Spicing it up
Spicing it up

Postby FazFX on Mon Jul 24, 2006 2:19 pm

skiendog wrote:no, i have never heard a preacher use his/her spouse as an example.

+1 llama.

I, however, have been used as an example in one of my pastor's sermons all the time... and I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing! LOL.

Martin Luther wrote:The Bible is alive, it speaks to me; it has feet, it runs after me; it has hands, it lays hold of me.

Jude 1:3 wrote:...to contend for the faith that was once for all entrusted to the saints...
FazFX
formerly ForgivenSol

Name: Faz
Vehicle: 2002 C5 convertible

Postby SinistreMinistre on Mon Jul 24, 2006 2:36 pm

UnReality, I can understand that the pastor wants the congregation to understand that his family is just as "normal" as everyone. But, come on! If this was true, we wouldn't have all the jokes and myths about P.K.'s, "preacher's kids". I think most of us know that they have the propensity to do just as much wrong and right as anyone else.

The problem that i have as someone in ministry, is that it doesn't show any sign that the preacher is connected with the community! If you live in a fishing community than maybe use that as a reference from time to time. There's just so many great tools to use that i am perplexed at hearing preachers resort to using the wife or kids as the butt of a joke or the key example. Listening to last Sunday's sermon and how the preacher's wife dumps on the salt on her tomatoes didn't move me spiritually. What does the amount of salt a person eats have to do with being the salt in Matthew 5? It doesn't and nobody ever stands up and tells the preacher to knock it off. Except me of course, but i like criticism, it makes me better and keeps my ego under control.

SinistreMinistre
I'm Crazy Go Nuts
I'm Crazy Go Nuts

Postby djelev8 on Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:31 pm

I have heard pastors only do this once in a while, but I've never worried about this myself. I guess the things I get worried about is a "watered down" gospel. If it preaches Christ then why should we worry?

Philippians 1:18 "What then? Only that in every way, whether in pretense or in truth, Christ is preached; and in this I rejoice, yes, and will rejoice."

"Men will allow God to be everywhere except on His Throne" -Charles Spurgeon.

HRC³ - SoCal
djelev8
I own you all
I own you all

Name: Chris
Vehicle: 2004 Accord V6

Postby SinistreMinistre on Mon Jul 24, 2006 7:28 pm

djelev8, exactly! I too don't like watery messages. I do want as much of Christ's teachings as i can get. Why should a preacher resort to talking about his wife when there is Biblical characters and many other features that are Biblical!? The wife is not and therefore subtracts about from the total precentage of that which is Christocentric! I want 100% Christ from a sermon, not 50% "Well,my wife...", for that is no good. Paul would write a letter over this if he were Earth bound!

SinistreMinistre
I'm Crazy Go Nuts
I'm Crazy Go Nuts

Postby FazFX on Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:11 pm

SinistreMinistre wrote:Paul would write a letter over this if he were Earth bound!

That's right! You never heard him using anecdotes about HIS wife! LOL.

Martin Luther wrote:The Bible is alive, it speaks to me; it has feet, it runs after me; it has hands, it lays hold of me.

Jude 1:3 wrote:...to contend for the faith that was once for all entrusted to the saints...
FazFX
formerly ForgivenSol

Name: Faz
Vehicle: 2002 C5 convertible

Postby REVILED on Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:25 pm

SinistreMinistre...could you please tell us a bit more about your ministry and how long you have been serving Jesus.

REVILED
Old Timer
Old Timer

Vehicle: 04 S10 Blazer-SOLD

Postby K-Dog7469 on Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:14 pm

here is the issue.

More so in larger chuirches. You can have a congregation with say 1,000 people ( heck say fifty the number doesnt matter )

You can have people at any given phase of spiritual development. Some one who has been a follower of Jesus for a month could be sitting next to some one who has three or four degrees in Bible, philosophy and what not.

Those two will not get the same thing from the same seromon. The sermon that hooks the one will put the other to sleep.

I have further thoughts on that, but that fits into another place, another time.

K-Dog
" Although I can not fly, I am not content to crawl "
Knowledge doesnt impress me.

CHURCH,,, sort of
www.Junction111.com
K-Dog7469
Not as liberal as you might think...

Postby SinistreMinistre on Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:49 pm

Maybe Paul didn't get married for that reason! Just by example, look at Paul on Mars Hill. He spoke about what they knew, philosophy and so fourth. The same can be done in any town, not necessarily with philosophy, but something cultural to the community. I'm not seeing that with the pastors i've heard in this town thus far. The most common item that we all share is Christ, not necessarily marriage or hiking, etc.

And what about the unmarried men? They might have a dog or a cat, but not a wife. I could understand that there is a vast difference in the educatio-spiritual realm in pewville. But, there is far better ways to advance the gospel than to compare the actions of a wife to the topical purpose of the scripture on a weekly basis. Soli Scriptura!

Reviled, I've been "in" for 5 years, with 1 year of pulpit time in which i gave topical sermons from an associate position. Now, i'm out of work. I've got no bites from any churches locally, they are happy with their interim leadership and i'm happy being a stranger. We're all happy. I am looking into a transitional role in Columbus OH. I'm actually flying out to San Jose next week to study some of the "emergent/organic" churches in the area.

SinistreMinistre
I'm Crazy Go Nuts
I'm Crazy Go Nuts

Postby spiritturbo on Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:12 pm

I understand the desire to relate certain examples to something tangible in each audience members life, but I know about what's being said. I'vve heard pastoring using the same tactics. Right or wrong, I dunno, but the bigger issue is to try to overcome this, in yourself, and ask God to show you the meaning behind the scripture, not only that, but to instill it.

Though, yes, many times I found it most irrelevant. Have heard worse tho.

El Ministerio Espa?ol
Bienvenido a la iglesia de Jesuchristo
spiritturbo
I post more than I sleep
I post more than I sleep

Name: Jeremy
Vehicle: 1990 Eagle Talon TSi

Postby K-Dog7469 on Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:15 pm

SinistreMinistre wrote:. I'm actually flying out to San Jose next week to study some of the "emergent/organic" churches in the area.

lemmie know what comes of that.

K-Dog
" Although I can not fly, I am not content to crawl "
Knowledge doesnt impress me.

CHURCH,,, sort of
www.Junction111.com
K-Dog7469
Not as liberal as you might think...

Postby SinistreMinistre on Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:32 pm

K-dog, i will probably do a write up and post my finding. Maybe some of our Cali-based members have experienced this new style of worship. This is supposed to be reaching Gen X and Y in droves and also way beyond what the central and East coast understands to be 'contemporary'.

Spiritturbo, mi, el ministerio de Iglesia Evangelica Amigos Int'l!

SinistreMinistre
I'm Crazy Go Nuts
I'm Crazy Go Nuts

Next

Return to Faith-Based Discussions